Church Insurance is encouraging all parishes to consider a Fall Checklist of needed repairs and projects before winter is upon us. You might think that you can put off preparation for winter — but it makes sense to do an inspection now while the temperature is milder. If you find something that needs to be repaired or replaced, you won’t have to battle inclement weather to do it.
After completing your inspection, remember to write and share a report that shows which tasks were accomplished and which are scheduled to be performed at a later date.
Here is a checklist to help you evaluate what needs to be done:
- Take a walk, make notes, and initiate plans for repair and clean-up:
- a. Where do you need to clear up leaves or other items on the ground?
- b. What repair work might be needed on parking areas, walkways, stairways, handrails, fences, and playgrounds?
- c. What about debris on the roof, in gutters, downspouts, and flashing? Are any of these areas in need of repair?*
- d. Is there any damage on outside walls or windows?*
- e. Where might water collect to form ice? Be especially mindful of areas used as walkways to prevent slip-and-falls.
- Make a plan for when you’ll last use gardening equipment—and have it serviced before you store it along with other items for the winter.
- As you put away mild weather items, take out your cold weather supplies, like doormats, so people can stamp off snow and ice from their shoes before entering the building.
- Arrange to service or replace fire extinguishers.
- Check heating installations, plumbing, and insulation for needed repairs to prevent occurrences like freezing. Remember, maintenance saves money.
- Inspect window seals and weather stripping on doors. Replace problem areas.
- Check lighting for proper functioning; repair or replace fixtures and change burnt-out bulbs.
*Use binoculars to inspect the roof and other high areas. That way, you won’t have to climb ladders.
For more information on Church Insurance, visit their website: https://www.cpg.org/administrators/insurance/