The Shared Ministry of Christ Church, Portsmouth and Trinity Church, Hampton, is looking for a new organist to succeed their retiring music director.
Part-time – approximately 6-10 hours a week.
Position open until filled. First consideration may be made by March 24, 2017.
The incumbent will play the organ/piano for church worship services on Sunday and conduct choir practices in preparation for Christmas, Easter or similar special occasions. The incumbent will assist the Priest in planning the music for all services, including hymns, preludes and postludes, and any choir anthems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Play at worship services on Sunday – currently 8:45 a.m. at Trinity Church, Hampton and 10:30 a.m. at Christ Church, Portsmouth
● Play (and direct choir when applicable) at special liturgical services including at least: Christmas Eve and Day services, the Epiphany Feast of Lights liturgy, Holy Week liturgies
● Play for funerals, weddings, and special events
● Coordinate with the Priest in planning music for services, including hymns, choir anthems, and preludes and postludes
● Direct and accompany the choir at rehearsals in preparation for Christmas and Easter. Rehearsals are currently scheduled between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. at Trinity; following the 10:30 a.m. liturgy at Christ Church; and mid-week at a time convenient to the choristers and accompanist
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated piano and/or organ performance skills, and willingness to direct a small choir. Competence with only one instrument (piano ororgan) will be considered, particularly if willing to learn accompaniment on the other.
Performance skills will be demonstrated during an audition with the Priest and search committee.
Additional desirable skills:
● Ability and willingness to play and/or work with alternative instruments such as guitar, percussion or trumpet.
● Willingness to coordinate use of guest or volunteer musicians for special services
Education and Experience:
Ideally, the candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Music (Education or Performance) or 2 years’ related experience and/or training. Prior experience or familiarity with Episcopal services is preferred but not required.
Each church has a volunteer (non-auditioned) choir with a range of musical ability, consisting of the Trinity Church choir with 3-7 members and the Christ Church choir with 3-5 members. The choirs rehearse together, and when possible combine during services for church holy days such as Christmas and Easter.
Trinity has a Rodgers electronic organ with 11 stops in each, the swell and the great, 6 pedal stops and 4 presets. Christ Church has a pre-1900, Hook and Hastings electro-pneumatic pipe organ, refurbished and installed in 1989, and maintained by Faucher Organ Co. of Biddeford, ME. Both churches have a piano available. Christ Church has a Kawai baby grand, Trinity has a Baldwin upright.
Three professional references will be required.
Please contact the Rev. David G. Robinson, Jr., Vicar (Priest): email@example.com